Over the last nine months, I have been conducting 1:1 public speaking training sessions for a number of clients. In the course of working with my clients, I find myself coaching them on general communication skills, in addition to presentation skills training. Communication skills are overarching and extend well beyond formally standing in front of a group of people. No matter which element of communication my clients need help with, inevitably, the desire to show up as more confident rises to the surface.
Here are a few quick tips I share on how to exhibit confidence, even when you don't feel confident.
- Speak Up
- Share your thoughts and ideas
- Avoid prefacing statements with terms like "I feel..." or "I think..."
- Ask for alignment to your ideas.
- Don't ask for permission to speak. Avoid phrases such as "May I say something?"
- Surround yourself with people who encourage you.
- Encourage yourself.
- Dress for success
- Be mindful of your stance.
What other tips do you have? Share them in the comments below.